Wednesday, May 11, 2011

LAX

Our first season of Lacrosse came to an end this weekend and what a season it was.  For starters, it was Landon's first time to play lacrosse.  I'm not sure what made him want to play, but he came home right before I was going to sign him up for baseball and told me "baseball's boring, I wanna play Lacrosse".  I was caught off guard since Landon has loved baseball every season he has played but I was rather excited too, because baseball can be so boring.  Anyhow, I gave it a few days just to be sure but he insisted on lacrosse, so we signed him up.

Photobucket

Now, I know I'm not the only one in the south who doesn't didn't have a clue about this game.  I had to call a cousin to get lessons on what equipment to buy, ha!  But, I picked up the basics of the game and quickly learned how awesome this sport is!  For starters, the clock runs continuosly, doesn't stop unless there's an injury, which is nice with a two year old and a baby on the sideline.  :)  And secondly, the larosse practice feilds are down the street from us.  Now, you have to be familiar with Birmingham to know how miserable it is to live in my area and have to drive all the way to Liberty Park for all the sports facilities for Vestavia Hills.  This year I caught a break, because sure enough, they just finished building brand new lacrosse feilds way out there.  And in all honestly, drive or no drive, those feilds are freakin nice!  :)

Photobucket

Anyhow, in his usual sports obsessed athlete self, Landon picked up the sport and had the rules down within a couple of weeks of practice.  His position was middie and he was pretty darn good at it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That's the only position that can go all over the feild.   And thats the only position that can play defense and offense.  Perfect for my boy that loves to tackle but also likes the glory of scoring.  :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

It took him a few games to get the hang of shooting the ball, 4 games to be exact, but once he had it, he had it. 

Photobucket

When the regular season was over he was asked along with 2 other teammates to join a team representing Alabama for a lacrosse tournament in Georgia.  Unfortunately, I brought my camera but forgot my camera card and didn't get a single picture from the tournament...boo!  But, the team did great and had a blast.  They lost all 4 games, but were up against new rules, much smaller feilds, and older teams.  And their improvement from the first game to the last game was remarkable.  The tournament marked the end of our spring season and Landon is already asking for more.  So, I'm off to research lacrosse camps!

No comments:

Post a Comment